Photobucket

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Why China?

I think even as we grow older, we still have heros. Mine are flesh and blood, but with a tangible faith in Almighty God. The following is a post is by a friend who is one of my heros of the faith. She'd be embarassed by that, so we'll keep it among us here (and see if she happens to read it). It answers well a question I've been asked several times. This is a better answer than I was able to give.

"Why are you adopting from China and not here?"

First, let me say that we have many friends who have already or are adopting from all over the world, including here in the US, so you will not hear me critcize domestic adoption.

The next thing you should know is that my dear husband is much more eloquent at answering this question that I! My husband has such a love for Jesus that he can bring Him into any conversation, as if He were physically present.

My answers tends to vary, depending on the tone of the question. For instance, if someone is asking flippantly or sarcastically, my answer will be different. Sadly, I rarely get asked this question directly. Usually it is asked of a friend, who then gets to answer on our behalf.

So, no matter the tone of the question, my husand will answer consistently ~ "Imagine you are God, looking at the world you've created. You see North America, Asia, Europe, Africa...and the 147 million children who have been orphaned. Do you think you would love the children here any more or less than the children there?

My answers are not as eloquent. I am typically caught off guard and left speechless, but in a moment of lucidity, I will respond, "Because that's where my children were," or, "That's where God called us."

Afterward I can think of a hundred less-than-serious responses like, "Have you seen how beautiful my children are?" "I love Chinese food," or "How many have you adopted?" Because the truth is, most people who have asked us this question have no experience with adoption.

Please don't get me wrong ~ I'm not one of those adoptive parents walking around in defense mode, waiting to bite the head off the next person to ask a question. Yes, I've met some of them, and they don't represent the adoption community well. I love talking adoption and prefer a setting that allows us to sit a spell while I share my heart, but that's not always the circumstance.

I would love the opportunity to say that until seven years ago I knew nothing about adoption, the orphan, or God's heart on the matter. I was a typical 'living-the-American-dream' Christian with 3 kids, a retirement account and good job. Fortunately, He radically changed my heart in an instant by allowing my ordinary family to live an extraordinary life of loving Him by loving the least of these. I have seen the ransom paid, redemption given, citizenship changed...and I have gladly given up the retirement account and all my plans and dreams for the hope that He has given!

Another thing to consider is now my children are getting older, and one is learning English well enough to understand my response by my body language, as well as my words.

I want my answers to show them that I am proud of who they are, where they come from, where they are now, and that they are chosen ~

so they will be proud of who they are, where they come from, where they are now....and to know they are chosen!"

This family has adopted 5 children from China. They are in the process of fundraising to continue their journey to another beautiful child waiting in a Chinese orphange for her family to bring her home.

No comments:

Welcome to our family blog

For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11